Tuesday 3 February 2009

Making Tracks




I came across "Ray Mouse" painting the lines on the road outside of Plantation House. This is just another example of what island life is like. It's not a backward society in the least, and I hope people don't take that from my photos. I think of St Helena as old-fashioned and that Saints are more concerned about what really matters. Like the guy's shoes in the next posting. The top ripped from the clutch of his truck. So what--the sole is still good. Why on earth would the island need a piece of equipment that paints lines on the road? Ray Mouse can do it. 

The next photo is of Layla in the cemetery. Her Papa was buried here a couple weeks ago. I did not see him in the viewing, but I think they put coins on the eyes of the dead. Surely she saw that. Layla had just had a discussion with her Uncle "Johnny" about the body rotting and as we walked away, I saw her put these pieces of candy over her eyes before popping them in her mouth. I didn't have time to think, just click. 

Shane Crowie is the most photogenic person I've ever photographed. Just a casual look from him is perfect. None of the photos I took of him were planned--he would just look up while speaking and I'd click the shutter. Here he's at Saint FM during his show on Friday afternoon. 

I was interviewed this morning on Saint FM by the station owner Mike. It was my first live interview. I hope I didn't sound like an idiot, but it's hard to tell. 

TDx

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally caught up now on your journey and am loving every bit! Take care and be safe. We're all thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete